A) exclusive breast feeding- baby should be given only breast milk from birth to completion of six (6) months-180 days
A) breast milk has all the energy and nutrient needs of baby up to six(6) months. So no other foods or fluids ( water, coriander water, tea, fruit juice, formula milk, ratha kalkaya) necessary.
Baby does not need additional water during the first six(6) month when breast feeding is practicing even in hot climates.
A) breast milk contain all the nutrient that an infant needs in the first six months of life including carbohydrates, fat, protein, vitamin, minerals, and water. If the baby is given any other fluid he may not get enough breast milk as his tummy that is very small,is filled with what you have given addition to breast milk.
Baby’s stomach capacity is only 20 ml at birth – if 5ml of orange juice is given by mother 25% of tummy is already filled and breast milk will fill the rest 75%. So baby is getting less amount of energy than he needs. This may cause poor weight gain resulting insufficient growth.
A) it helps a mother and baby to bond - that is to develops a close loving relationship.
This is the special milk that is secreted in first few day (first two to three days) after delivery. It is produced in small amounts about 40 – 50 ml on the first day but is all that an infant normally needs at this time
Colostrum consists of larger percentage of protein, minerals, and vitamin which are important in immune protection (fighting against germs) to an infant when he or she is first exposed to the germs in the environment
Colostrum also helps to maturation of gut wall which is very smooth and susceptible to infection. So germs are not able to invade the gut wall easily.
(A) Artificial feeding may interfere with bonding. The mother and baby may not develop such a close, loving relationship.
An artificially fed baby is more likely to become ill with diarrhoel, respiratory, ear, and other infections.
Diarrhea may become persistent
He may get too little milk and may become malnourished, because he gets too few feeds, or they are too dilute. He is more likely to suffer from vitamin A deficiency
An artificially fed baby is more likely to suffer from infections and malnutrition than a breastfed baby
He is more likely to develop allergic conditions such as eczema and asthma
He may become intolerant of animal milk, so that milk causes diarrhea, rashes, and other symptoms
The risk of some chronic diseases in child, such as diabetes is increased
A baby may get too much artificial milk, and become obese
He may not develop so well mentally, and score lower on intelligence tests
Common myths and beliefs